Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bah Humbug

I cleaned house today.

Both figuratively and literally.

It's been MONTHS since I have really BEEN on Pinterest, if you know what I mean.  But since the holiday season is officially upon us come Friday, I figured I better get things situated and ready for the onslaught of crafts, baking and decorating.  I deleted a TON of pins that are just outdated or not really conducive to my life right now.  I also separated out my Halloween/fall items from my Christmas stuff so that I don't have to search through 47 different pictures of decorated pumpkins just to get to the sticky bread recipe I make on Christmas morning.

Around the house Craig and I were able to clean out the storage closet under the stairs and we figured that if I was already in there cleaning.......why not go ahead and get out the Christmas stuff?!

Oh my goodness.

So we have one Christmas tree decorated (with Natalie's help) in the living room and the Christmas village is also up on the bookcase behind the couch.  I've got a list going of things we need to purchase (or make) for our big grocery and decor shopping trip on Tuesday morning (also known as PAYDAY).

I also solved one of my biggest problems during the decorating process  - you know, the problem that occurs when you're unpacking boxes and going "where in the world does this go?" I've decided that this year after we've got everything situated and looking pretty in the right spot........I'm taking a picture of all the major spots for decor in my house so that I can remember what it all looks like put together.

Genius idea, right?

Or possibly a little bit over-zealous?

Whatever.  Either way, it's happening in my house this year.

But back to Pinterest.  Since I was getting the decorating bug pretty hard while simultaneously having the urge to purge, I cleaned "house" through all my boards and really eliminated superfluous items and only kept things that I would actually need or use.

Do you want to know a secret though?

I HATE decorating for Christmas.

Seriously.  If it was up to me, we'd put up the Christmas tree and be done with it.  But oh no, not Craig.  He has his village, TWO trees and he's like the Griswalds when it comes to lights outside.  And even more so now with Natalie.

I just don't like the feeling that my house is out of order which has to happen in order for Christmas decorating to happen.  God bless her sweet heart, my mother would decorate the ENTIRE house during the holidays and although as a young child I enjoyed helping her.......in my own house it just causes me stress.

So we don't do an extreme overhaul but the house will be festive.

I'm more excited about taking Natalie to see Santa.....

Well.....wait a minute.  Let's talk about that Santa guy right quick.  I personally, was terrified of him as a small child. And who can blame me?

"What's that Mom?  You want me to go sit on that strange guy's lap and tell him what I want for Christmas?"

I mean.....come on......think about it.  Don't we generally teach our children NOT to talk to random strangers, much less sit on their laps?  Regardless, I was scared of Santa and if Natalie becomes frightened too.....I'm not going to push the issue with her.

I totally understand the fear - quite frankly I still don't like strangers and have a very hard time talking and interacting with people that I don't know all that well.  I mean, I DO it without coming across as a total imbecile (I hope) but that doesn't mean that it comes easily or is comfortable for me.  Making small talk in an unfamiliar situation is definitely a struggle for me - which is possibly why I like being here and writing in this safe little spot.

Anyways.  We're going to do the Santa thing and probably the ICE sculptures at the Gaylord hotel since the theme is Madagascar this year and Natalie loves animals.  I'd like to do some sort of baking or craft with her as well.

But first I need to get through Thanksgiving with the in-laws.






No comments: