Sunday, December 11, 2011

Show and Tell: Christmas Tutu


THE INSPIRATION:





THE MATERIALS:
- 1.5 yards of red and lime green tulle
- 1 yard of white sparkly tulle
- 1 roll of double sided red satin ribbon
- scissors

THE TIME:
- I started off by cutting the wide roll of tulle in half and then cutting 4-6 inch strips of tulle.  Luckily I have a tiled kitchen table which made it very easy to make the strips the same width.
- I measured Natalie's waist with the ribbon.  I wrapped the ribbon around three times just to give me a little extra wiggle room in case I messed up.
- I taped the ends of the ribbon to the ends of my kitchen table with the middle section hanging off.
- I began the tedious process of folding the tulle in half and then looping each strip Boy Scout style around the ribbon.  I tried to go in some sort of pattern (green and red, red and green, white, etc.)
- All in all it probably took me an hour to get it all put together.

THE RESULT:



So it looks a little messier than the ones on Pinterest.  Probably because I put it on a wiggly nine month old that was very interested in the way the tulle felt....and then tried to put it all in her mouth.

HOW WILL I USE IT?
I think we're going to try to put it on her for Santa pictures this morning, but it might be a bit much.  Other than that I'm going to take some pictures of her in front of the tree.  She will be wearing an applique reindeer shirt, red and white striped tights and a big red bow in her hair.

WHAT WILL I DO DIFFERENTLY?
I would separate the green and red pieces of tulle.  I layered them together and I think the lime green got lost.  I would also probably take my time and make things a little neater.  I can't wait to use this craft again - maybe for a Halloween costume?!

What have YOU been pinning and creating lately?!

No comments: