Sunday, August 7, 2011

5 Months Old (and 28 Years Old)

We are missing a picture for this post because Craig and I are leaving for Vegas in the morning and between celebrating my birthday, packing three people for a trip and Natalie taking the most monstrous nap this afternoon, I never got around to making a sign and taking a picture of her with it.  Maybe this weekend.

Natalie's Vital Stats: No doctor's appointment this month so everything is estimated!
- Height: about 27.5 inches
- Weight: More than 14 pounds for sure, maybe close to 15 now?!

Mommy's Vital Stats: Happy 28th birthday to me!
- Height: 6 feet or 72 inches
- Weight: More than Natalie

- She has become a pro at eating her oatmeal cereal in the morning and takes a full bottle of rice cereal/formula at night.  Her sleeping has gotten.....better I suppose.  Some nights are still better than others but for the most part she is a pretty good sleeper.  Maybe it's a mother's intuition, but I can always tell how the night is going to go based on how well she takes her nighttime bottle and falls asleep. 

- Natalie is a roly poly monster flipping from front to back and back to front.  She desperately wants to crawl but just isn't sure of all the mechanics of it.  I'm sure by next month's post she will be scooting all over the place!

- She had a few weeks of intense physical development where she was learning all sorts of new body movements (reaching and grabbing, rolling over, etc.) but that has kind of slowed down and now we are noticing a lot of emotional development.  She definitely knows Momma and Daddy and is beginning to reach for us and always gives us a big grin when she hasn't seen one of us in awhile.  She also has developed a funny little screech of joy when she is playing by herself.  It almost sounds like she is upset, but if you check on her she is just really enjoying chewing on her toes or playing with her animals.  Funny girl.

- It's hard to detect any real attributes and characteristics of hers at this point in time.  I know a lot of people like to try and make grand assumptions about babies future personalities based on their behavior but I think that when you say things like that ("Oh she has quite the temper!" or "I can already tell how stubborn she is going to be!") they become self-fulfilling prophecies.  I just want to enjoy her today however she is and not put any expectations on who or what she will become tomorrow, next week or next year.  But overall, she seems to be pretty expressive and engaging with people - she enjoys interacting with adults, children and especially Angie!  She is very curious about things going on around her - she loves to stroll along at the mall and just take everything in.

Here are a few pictures of what Natalie has been up to this past month:
While staying at Nonna and Grandaddy's house one night Natalie took a bath after which all the puppies had to come check her out of course.

Natalie and I went to church with Nonna and Grandaddy and she even wore my baby shoes!

She cuddled with all the puppy dogs on my old bed at my parent's house.

She tried rice and oatmeal cereal for the first time.  It took a few weeks but she is a really good little eater now.

After Craig's big basketball tournament he wanted to get something special for each of his women - I got some new work clothes and Natalie got an exersaucer!  She loves it because of the sounds and the new things to chew on and Craig and I love it because we can put her in it while we actually eat a meal together!

She what I mean?!  She really has become so much more expressive with her faces and her noises.  I can't wait to see how her personality develops!

We are working on sitting up independently.  She has the basic mechanics down but balancing is still an issue.

She played with her oldest cousin Alexander (7)......

and her younger cousin (but not for long!) Ford (4).

As for my birthday......my parent's are coming up for a late lunch at my favorite restaurant Agave Azul and then Craig, Natalie and I are just going to hang out for the rest of the day and get everything packed and ready to go for our Las Vegas vacation.  Natalie will be staying the first night we are gone (the 8th) at her Grandmama's house (Craig's mother) while the other two nights (the 9th and 10th) she will be with Angie at my mom and dad's house.

No comments: