Tuesday, August 2, 2011

5 Days, 50 Questions: Part I

My 28th birthday is on Sunday and due to circumstances outside of my control...my state of mind has taken a really contemplative turn recently.  So I was stalking around on the internet and found "50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind."  Don't mind if I do.  I would love to free my mind right now.  And since I have five (counting today) days until my birthday, I will do ten questions a day.

Here we go.

1. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are? I'll be honest.  I don't feel almost 28.  I watch MTV, play video games and my favorite cereal is Lucky Charms.  My iPod is probably ridiculously similar to my students'.  And they're thirteen.  I guess age really is a state of mind...and if that's true, I'm probably still closer to 16 in some aspects, but in others I feel way too wise for my age.  I was at the 30th birthday dinner for a friend of mine recently and she talked about how "at peace" she felt about turning 30 because she really knows who she is and where she belongs in her life and she is content with that.  I'm looking forward to being 30...and maybe more importantly, being out of my twenties.


2. Which is worse, failing or never trying? I know what I SHOULD answer but that would be lying.  For me, failing is just about the worst thing that could ever happen to me.  I would much prefer to stay on the safe side of things and never try.  Or at least just try the things that I KNOW I will succeed at.

3. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do? Yikes.  I should have read through these questions first...maybe I would never have started this project.  Um...I don't "like" doing the laundry or cleaning up after we eat.  But I do it because I "like" having clean clothes to wear and a clean house to live in.  Those are just minor things I suppose.  I guess that's one of the great things about being an adult - you get to choose to do more of the things you like to do so that the things you do but don't enjoy doing don't seem so bad.

4. When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done? I say plenty that's for sure.  It's probably one of my worse characteristics BUT I'd like to think that out of all the people out there that say they want to make the world a better place, I am doing it because I'm influencing (hopefully in a positive way) the lives of young people. 

5. What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world? Hypocrisy.  Say what you mean and mean what you say.

6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich? I would probably have the same job tha tI have right now.  I would teach middle schoolers because I love working with that age group, I love being in the classroom and I love having my summers off.

7. Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing? I absolutely believe in what I'm doing.  If I didn't, it wouldn't be fair to the kids.  I also believe that this is my calling and what God put me on this Earth to do - teach children and more importantly, provide a well-rounded role model for young girls.

8. If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently? I'd be looking to retire.  I guess I probably would have had children earlier than 27 but other than that...I've traveled, I've partied, I've started a family and had a career...I've checked off most of the things on my "to do" list.

9. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken? When I graduated high school I most definitely had a plan: go to college, graduate with honors, get a job teaching, get married and start a family.  I followed that plan.  Now...the one area that I didn't have control over?  Falling in love with one of the coaches in my coaching office who was ten years my senior.  That I did not expect.  And it took a LONG time for me to relinquish control of how I was feeling for him and just admit it - I was in love with him even though he was completely the opposite of what I THOUGHT I wanted, but he ended up being exactly what I NEEDED.

10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things? All of the above.  I want to do the right things, the right way.  This can be a good thing.  This can also be my Achille's heel.

Alright.  That's it for day one.  See you back here tomorrow!

No comments: