Thursday, February 16, 2012

Life After Television

It hit me this week.  I watch A LOT of television.  It's Thursday and my DVR upstairs in our bedroom is full of this week's shows that I haven't been able to watch because of my hectic schedule as well as our earlier bedtime (Natalie is still wanting to party at 3:00am).  So last night as I was settling into bed after my volleyball game I scrolled through the list of shows and I was almost a little disgusted with myself.  No wonder I complain about not having time to read books - I'm spending all my time drowning in the drama on any given Housewives show.  

Here is what is sitting (or about to be) in my DVR.

Bethenny Ever After
Frequency: Once a week
Duration: One hour

Chelsea Lately
Frequency: Monday through Friday
Duration: Thirty minutes

The Colbert Report
Frequency: Monday through Thursday
Duration: Thirty minutes


The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Frequency: Monday through Thursday
Duration: Thirty minutes


Dance Moms
Frequency: Once a week
Duration: One hour


Glee
Frequency: Once a week
Duration: One hour


The Real Housewives of Orange County
Frequency: Once a week
Duration: One hour


Shark Tank
Frequency: Once a week
Duration: One hour


The Voice
Frequency: Once a week (for now)
Duration: Two hours (for now)


And I'll be honest - I think there are some shows on my DVR that I forgot about and didn't list here.  If you're keeping track that is at least 13 hours of television a week, plus random other things I'm recording and shows that I pick up here and there.  Granted with skipping through the commercials, I can blow through a Chelsea Lately episode in twenty minutes but I could also be reading a chapter of a book in that time as well.

So here is my plan for next week.  I'm going to clear out my DVR this weekend and catch up on all my shows so that I can delete them and have a clean slate.  I will allow all the programs to record like normal next week but the change is.........I'M NOT GOING TO WATCH THEM.  Let's see if I can go a whole week without watching my shows and instead spend that time doing all those things that I "don't have time for" such as reading, folding laundry, organizing drawers etc.  

It might be a long week.

2 comments:

Erin said...

We are the same way with our TV around here. The DVR is usually full. Thank goodness we're homebodies and can spend our exciting weekend nights catching up :)

annajanine said...

Haha! You can do it! Ours is always full, but the difference is I finally stopped recording the crap (except Teen Mom!)...now its full of stand-bys like Dora, Olivia, Gabba, Elmo, etc. That's what I should really clear out. No need to pass on my addiction to my daughter!