Wednesday, January 25, 2012

This and That

- Natalie is now up to saying four words consistently and with meaning.  The obvious two being Mama and Dada but she's added "dog-dog" for either of the pups (yes, there are two dogs - more on that later) and "shhh-s" for shoes.  This morning as I was getting ready in the bathroom she snuck into the closet and was picking up different tennis shoes, holding them over her head and saying "SHH-S!"  Not sure if I should be proud........or terrified.  We'll be holding off on a trip to DSW with her anytime soon.

- Yep.  We added another member to our family on Sunday.  Craig and I had spotted a dog at a Stars game a couple weeks ago that seemed like he would be the perfect addition to our home.  Jax is a three year old pure bred black and tan dachshund.  He has been living with a foster momma 50 miles east of Dallas ever since his human family moved homes and abandoned him, his lady friend and all his puppies to fend for themselves.  Sigh.  He is super calm and relaxed - a definite cuddler and snuggler.  When he and Angie first met each other I was a bit nervous just because Angie is not exactly known for her welcoming nature but there were no fireworks, no growls, no hackles raised.......in fact it was quite anticlimactic.  The two dogs really didn't pay each other any attention at all and it wasn't until we had Jax for a full twenty-four hours that the animals actually interacted with each other.  We have renamed Jax to Ajax just because we have Angie and my parents have Andy and Annabelle - he just couldn't be the only pup not to have an "A" name.

- I'd like to think that I hold myself to a pretty high standard of behavior and it really bothers me when other people don't do the same.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around bad behavior from adults.  I struggle with finding forgiveness and grace to those that behave in a manner that I would never dare behave.  I also struggle with holding myself to that standard all the time and forgiving myself when I falter.  It's a cycle.  That is all I have to say about that.

- Florence + the Machine and Mumford & Sons are probably my favorite soul-fulfilling bands as of late.  They are quickly joining the ranks of U2, The Beatles and Kings of Leon as my go-to playlists on a bad day or when I just need some quiet reflecting music.

- I have a lot of parties coming up and I always get anxiety any time I open up my home for a celebration.  My mother's birthday dinner is this weekend and then in March I'm throwing not one, but TWO birthday parties for Natalie.  Please believe me when I say that her birthday is not going to be as extravagant as it sounds.  I just get nervous about people liking my food or having a good time......or even coming at all.

No comments: