Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Movie Date Night

Craig and I live close to the best thing ever invented for parents of small children.

A dine-in movie theater.

No joke.

It's pretty awesome.  And a little expensive but well worth the money.

We've been several times in the past few months because it's close, it's air conditioned and it's a nice three hour date that doesn't involve a whole lot of driving and can bring us back home by (our) bedtime.

So what have we seen lately?


The Dark Knight Rises
Two very enthusiastic thumbs up
I have had a geeky love affair for Batman ever since my brothers made me watch the one with Jack Nicholson as the Joker.  I guess I love a man with a dark side?!  I almost didn't want it to end because I know that Christopher Nolan has vehemently denied that he will be involved in any other sort of Batman related project.  But....but....he left us hanging with the introduction of the Robin character!  Ugh.

And to add to my geekiness.....I found this on Facebook one day and cracked up.

Anyways.


The Campaign
Two thumbs up
Craig loves stupid Will Ferrell humor and I love witty political commentary so this was a win-win for the two of us.  The writer, director and producer of this movie definitely have some strong feelings regarding negative political ads, campaign financing and politicians in general.  Since I agree with their stance, I enjoyed the movie but if you're not on board with their opinions, it might not be the movie for you.


The Expendables
One thumb up
Totally lame but we needed to get out of the house and this was the only thing even considerably watchable. It was pretty predictable but at least the guys in the movie were kind of IN on the joke, if you know what I mean.  I think all the actors realized that this whole thing was ridiculous and so no one took themselves (or the plotline) too terribly serious.  So I must give credit for that I suppose.


The Bourne Legacy
Two thumbs up
The movie was great and just what we expected - a slightly complicated plot set-up in the beginning followed up with lots of intense fighting, sexual tension, running for your life and a spectacular car chase in a foreign country.  Standard Bourne formula?  Absolutely.  BUT....it was fun.

And looking at the fall family calendar I just updated...........we're going to need some nights out in the very near future.  So what is coming out this fall that I am itching to see?

The Words - September 7th
The previews are pretty intriguing and I just love Bradley Cooper - even more since I learned that he is completely fluent in French.  Not sure why, but it kind of reminds me of The Hours - a great thinking movie.  

Trouble with the Curve - September 21st
Let's be honest....I wasn't too interested until I saw Justin Timberlake's face pop up in the previews but by the end of the trailer my eyes were welling up with tears.  Fathers and daughters sharing something they love?  Count.  Me.  In.  Some of my best summer memories involve me tagging along to the junkyard with my dad in search of a car part.

Taken 2 - October 5th
The first movie is probably on Craig's top five list of favorite movies ever.  I'll be honest - it really freaked me out because...um......I didn't exactly make the smartest decisions when I was young and travelling through Europe so I guess it hits pretty close to home for me.  But Craig and I love any chance to see a good action movie - especially one with Liam Neeson.

Argo - October 12th
Historical action movie starring Ben Affleck with a semi mullet?  Sold.  

Skyfall - November 9th
I love, love, love James Bond.  And although I was a little wary of Daniel Craig taking the reins of the franchise, I think that he has done a wonderful job bringing the character back to reality and away from the cheese factor that Pierce Brosnan ended his run with.

Breaking Dawn Part II - November 9th
Don't judge.  I've read the entire series and this, when Bella finally becomes a vampire, was my favorite part of all four books.  Seriously.  I hated the fact that she was such a whiny girl who was completely wrapped up in being with a man.  Ugh.  So when she finally became a vampire and found her strength and power - that's when I liked her.  Don't worry.  I'm not dragging Craig to this one.

Les Miserable - December 19th
And this.  THIS.  This is the one I am most excited about.  This is the one I will preorder tickets for.  This is the one whose trailer has caused me to cry every single time I see it.  This is the one that I fell in love with as a small child.  This is the one that I saw by myself in the theater district of London.  This is the one where I will desperately fight the urge to sing along with every song.  Fellow movie patrons....you're welcome.  I absolutely cannot wait for this movie to come out.

This is 40 - December 21st
When this trailer comes up during any of the movies that we've seen lately, Craig and I just look at each other and grin.  Yep.  It looks like it's going to be something that we will be able to relate to very easily.

So that's what we'll be spending our fun money on this fall.  It looks like an average of two movies a month so hopefully we'll be able to make it happen!  And if not....there's always On Demand.  

No comments: