Sunday, January 18, 2009

Teamwork

Three days into being engaged, I'm a little overwhelmed at the thought of putting together the perfect wedding for Craig and myself. In the words of my brother, I get stressed because I just see the BIG picture, while forgetting that the BIG picture is just a bunch of little pictures put together. I focus so much on the entirety of the day, and I forget that it's just a bunch of little things put together and more importantly...I have a lot of friends and family that are more than willing to help me out.

I like choices broken down for me. If there are too many things for me to choose from I get overwhelmed and shut down. For example, when deciding on dinner Craig will ask me where I want to eat. This question is and always has been really hard for me to answer because there are so many choices out there and its hard for me to narrow down the field. BUT...if you give me three names of restaurants, I can definitely choose. That's why I have to make lists - otherwise I just get frustrated and confused in the grocery store. Craig says I have ADD...I think my brain is just so advanced that I process everything in sight very quickly, therefore the wires get a little "fried" sometimes. ;) Along these lines I think is part of the reason that I'm so terrified of starting to plan the wedding. Knowing that there are so many different decisions to make and so many choices to choose from. Google the word "wedding" on the internet and a million sites come up, each offering the "best" wedding experience available. It's enough to make me turn off the computer and take a nap because my brain is overloaded.

BUT the good thing about getting married is the fact that there are TWO people doing the work. And if there is anything that Craig and I are good at - it's working together to accomplish something. We both played a lot of sports growing up and know what it takes to have truly great teamwork. We know each other's strengths and weaknesses and allow the other person to take the lead when it's their strength. At the same time, I know that when I get frustrated and overwhelmed, he will have no problem jumping in and taking care of things for me. He truly is my partner and my teammate and with that mindset, we will be able to make everything come together.

Besides - he's already pretty excited...his latest idea? A U2 cover band for the reception. We shall see...

No comments: