Friday, January 18, 2013

Taco Soup

Today I'm linking up with Kelly's Korner to share some soup recipes.  

Even though I live in Texas and could conceivably wear flip-flops for at least ten months out of the year without looking strange....it does sometimes get cold enough to warrant a hot bowl of soup.  

You know....when it hits 50 degrees or so.

But in all honesty, my family's favorite soup is definitely Taco Soup and I love it because it is easy, filling and makes for some great leftovers.

If you Pinterest "taco soup" there are all sorts of crock-pot versions but if you are like me, I'm lucky to leave the house having finished off a full cup of coffee let alone preparing a crock-pot for dinner.

TACO SOUP
1 lb. lean ground beef (or turkey)
1 onion, choped
1 pkg taco seasonings 
1 pkg dry Ranch seasonings
2 large cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can Rotel tomatoes (medium), undrained
1 can black beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can whole kernel corn

Brown meat and onion.  Drain and add seasonings.  Let simmer for awhile until meat is fully coated and seasonings are absorbed.
Drain beans and corn, combine with tomatoes in a large pot and simmer while the meat is finishing up.
Once meat is ready, pour into large pot and stir well to combine all ingredients.  

I usually let everything simmer together for a good ten minutes while the cornbread is cooking.  We top it with cheese and sour cream....and for a little bit thicker soup I toss some cornbread into my bowl.  I shared this recipe with a friend and he actually drained the tomatoes and made it less of a soup and more of a tortilla filling, which could be good option for leftovers as well!

1 comment:

annajanine said...

Yum! So easy but yet so delicious! And BTW - your new pic for your heading is so so so so so so so cute :).