Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Age Is Just A Number

One week from tomorrow I will turn 30.  

And this does not cause me any concern.

My twenties have been absolutely amazing but I also know that life doesn't stop being amazing just because of a number change.

In the past ten years, I have...

Dated many of the wrong men in a quest to find the right man, but in the process I kept my friends highly entertained with my dating adventures.

Traveled to Europe three times - once with my parents, another with a high school girlfriend and the final time with my husband.

Gained a certain understanding of the many facets of L-O-V-E.

Lived on my own for two and a half glorious years of freedom, independence and lots and lots of partying.

Continued nurturing old friendships and created new ones that will last the upcoming years.

Adopted two dogs who desperately needed homes and have become such an integral and comforting part of my life.

Met, dated and married my best friend who keeps me giggling most days and safe all the time.

Coached and mentored countless number of girls through seven volleyball season.

Delighted in raising a daughter and discovering the different aspects of her sweet spirit everyday.

Been to the brink of self-destruction but determinedly fought my way back.

A few years ago I went to the 30th birthday of a friend of mine and everyone asked her the inevitable question - was she sad about turning thirty and leaving her twenties behind...

Her thoughtful answer has always stuck with me.

She talked about the turbulence of her twenties, the transition from college student, to teacher to wife and then to mother.  There was so much change and so many "who am I" questions to answer.  But about her thirties, she expressed that she knows who she is - she is a wife, she is a mother and she is a follower of Christ.  Her core being is stable and secure.

Yes.

This is where I'm at.

I started my twenties as a frivolous college student, searching for the next hot guy and the next greatest party.  I struggled with the transition to the working world as a teacher - desperately trying to keep my weekend persona separate from my weekday responsibilities.  I met my husband, got tired of the bar scene and spent my weekends just hanging out and falling in love.  We bought a house, got married, had a daughter and weathered the storm of PPD.  

And now...here I am.

On the doorstep to my thirties and I'm excited.

No comments: