Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday Daybook

For today - Sunday, November 18th

Outside my window.....the streets are calm and dark.  The children have retreated to their warm houses, away from the cool breezes that have finally blown our way.

I am thinking.....of faith and the direction I want to lead my family.  What does faith mean to me and what kind of role do I want it to play in our lives?  I have far more questions than answers but at least the questions are a step in the right direction.

I am thankful.....for pain medication that can take the edge off the migraines that I've been struggling with lately.

In the kitchen.....I've got a huge list of food to purchase for Thanksgiving as well as meals during the week since we are off from school until next Monday.

I am wearing.....an Aggie shirt (Gig 'Em & so glad we BTHO Bama) with black Under Armour shorts.

I am creating.....Pinterest boards for Christmas decor and activity inspirations.

I am going.....shopping with my mother and Natalie tomorrow morning for a family my mother "adopted" for Christmas.  After we are meeting up for lunch with one of our favorite people from my mother's Catholic youth minister years.

I am wondering.....if I should make a doctor's appointment for these migraines because they are getting more frequent and much more debilitating.

I am reading.....I've tentatively started Little Bee again, hoping that I can get further along in it.  I get right to the chapter when the wife discusses her husband's suicide and due to my husband's family history....I simply cannot go any further.  Suicide of a husband and father is too close to my heart at this point in time.

I am hoping.....that snow comes our way this winter.  Natalie + Angie & Ajax frolicking in the snow = the cutest thing ever.

I am looking forward to.....I don't know.  I really don't.  I typed that statement and felt a twinge of anxiety flare through my chest.  About what, I'm not quite sure.

I am learning.....to write through the blahs and the frustrations and just put words out there, imperfections and all.

Around the house.....Natalie stayed in her pajamas all day while Craig and I meandered about putting up Christmas decorations.  We ended our night with her playing pretend with her Little People nativity scene.  My favorite part was when she made the donkey eat from the fake food.......complete with lip smacking sounds.

I am pondering.....haircuts for myself and for Natalie.

A favorite quote for today.....
"Round my hometown, memories are fresh
Round my hometown, ooh, the people I've met
Are the wonders of my world, are the wonders of my world."
Hometown Glory by Adele

Not the most thought-provoking or necessarily insightful when put onto paper (or the interwebs) but this song has been floating through my head for the past week.  As I drive through my own hometown, things are a-changing.  Buildings are ripped down and homes demolished - all in the effort to improve the highway system and relieve the large amount of traffic congestion.  I get that.  I wholeheartedly agree that something had to be done to fix the freeway and interchanges.  But to see the destruction of the restaurants that I frequented after a Friday night football game or that movie theater where I had my first kiss with Justin?  Breaks my heart.  I feel like a little piece of my childhood is lost with every piece of land that turns into a roadway.  

I know.  Dramatic much?  Probably.  But when things have looked the same for 29 years.......it's hard to accept the drastic change.

One of my favorite things.....the Florence and the Machine radio station on Pandora.

A few plans for the rest of the week:  Thanksgiving celebrations obviously.  And football watching.  Most likely some Christmas shopping.....but definitely NOT on Black Friday.

No comments: