Monday, April 9, 2007

Unspecial

My parents are kind of a big deal. People KNOW them.

They've lived in this area when it was a playground for dinosaurs and they have attended the same Catholic church since Jesus himself was the priest. Needless to say, there are a LOT of people around town that can all chime in: "I remember Laura when she was knee high!" Awesome. So, when I am out with my mother and we run into somebody, I always get asked the same questions.

"So. What are you doing now?"
Easy. I teach. I enjoy it. I like the people I work with. The kids and parents have their moments, but overall, I give it two thumbs up. I like making money and spending it on myself.

Then there's the OTHER question to which I will quote from Sex and the City.

Happily Married Woman: "So. Are you seeing anyone special?"
Miranda: "Nope. No one special. But I am seeing a lot of UNspecial ones!"

I think I'm going to go with Miranda's answer on this question from now on.

Answering the dating question is so awkward. I feel like I'm some freak of nature or something. I mean, I'm attractive, smart, ambitious, and mildly funny...so...what's the problem? After every let down in dating a guy, I always think "What is so wrong with me that I am unlovable?"

All my friends are racing past me to adulthood, while I'm still putting my mom and dad as emergency contacts. It almost made me cry in the doctor's waiting room.

I just keep reminding myself...by waiting to get married, I'm really waiting for the bigger ring. :)

No comments: