Monday, April 8, 2013

So Long, Farewell...

For the past seven years I've had the pleasure of watching girls fall in love with the game that I love so very much.  I've seen young women work together, overcome obstacles and find strength in numbers.

I myself, am a product of the Title IX and I had FAR greater access to competitive sports than any generation of women before me.  And after my family, participating in sports for the past twenty-one years has had the greatest impact on who I am today.

I learned accountability, teamwork, determination and assertiveness.  I learned that anything worth doing is worth doing right and with 100% effort.  I learned that in life, there ARE winners and losers but it's not the score at the end of the game, but the lesson you learn moving forward.

These girls, especially here at FMS, are MY girls.  I'm the Mama Bear and fiercely protective of them and the program I have rebuilt.

I hope that the girls I've coached along the way understand the impact they have had on me.  Taught me the importance of giving grace and the power of positive encouragement.  Shown me how to love unconditionally while still holding them accountable.

Yes, I love these girls...MY girls.  How can you NOT love kids who come every day and sweat, work, bleed and cry for you and the sport that you coach?

But as of today, I am done.  I honestly thought I would be a little bit sadder, but right now I'm just content.  I know in my heart this is the right decision for my family and that MY girls will survive - perhaps even thrive under a new coach.

And then this little moment last week solidified my contentment...

Last Thursday night Craig and I were both gone at the Zone Track Meet and we didn't get home until 9:00.  My mother had just put Natalie down to sleep so Craig and I grabbed a bite to eat before I snuck into her room at 9:30 to just peek at her.  I opened the door and a sliver of light streamed into her crib and I heard "hi momma!"

Oh.  Crap.  My heart sunk just a little as I realized that she was definitely NOT asleep and definitely super excited to see me.

I picked her up out of her crib and we settled into the rocking chair where she quickly snuggled up to me and dug her head into my shoulder.  As her body fell limp against mine and her breathing evened out, I heard her whisper "I missed you Momma."

And in that moment I knew.  I knew that I had made the right decision by taking this Math teaching opportunity and saying good-bye to coaching volleyball.

I whispered back "I know baby.  You don't have to miss Momma anymore."

Ain't that the truth.

1 comment: